Author Topic: Current M.O. for exchanging information  (Read 711 times)

Meg_B

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Current M.O. for exchanging information
« on: February 01, 2017, 03:19:54 pm »
What is your current method of operation for exchanging information?

Could you foresee a workflow that would not require a "centralized" database or model?

What do you know about the Linked-Data approach?

Social Buttons

Claudia

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Current M.O. for exchanging information
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 12:14:45 pm »
We exchange information differently for different projects because the teams and the relationships vary.  Difficult to manage, complicated and time consuming at times. 
What is the Linked-Data approach?   

carlveillette

• CanBIM CP
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • BIM Track
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 02:58:27 pm »
I guess the linked data approach may be something relating to API data exchange with tools such as https://flux.io/ right?

David Watson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 05:56:17 pm »
Hi all.  I think I could summarize Claudia's comment by saying "information exchange is possible, but not easy", which is really a task for software developers to sort out.  Am I right?

IMHO, what we need to help sort it out are "background" technologies, and promote the use of open standards to help that technology.  Things that users never see (in cell phones, that would be the network you're on, the protocol used by the phone to communiate with towers, etc).  The product (the phone in this case) should encompass all those standards to make it easier for us users.

The buildingSMART IFC is one such technology, and "linked data" is another technology.  Linked data is not something you buy and turn on, but something that could be built into an application or data service designed to acquire and share information quickly and efficiently.