Author Topic: Are you finding the UK PAS documents useful?  (Read 370 times)

dave.a1981

• View Profile
Are you finding the UK PAS documents useful?
« on: February 02, 2017, 02:48:08 pm »
Can I just say this forum is great. It's refreshing to speak to like minded people when you're trying to implement this cultural change.

Anyway, the standardization of roles, terminology etc has definitely helped the industry with consistent delivery of information and using a 'common language' allowed us a contractor to communicate and delegate responsibilities throughout the supply chain more effectively. Within a BIM enabled workflow it's not so much the titles that are the important aspect but the responsibilities that are agreed and distributed. i.e. the Information Manager, for us as a contractor we wouldn't employ an 'IM' but the IM responsibilities would be delegated to our doc controller. Similarly with the contributors to the model, the designers/sub-contractors were able to understand what activities needed to occur using this single standard.

Hope this answers your question.

I'm interested to know how many people are using the PAS documents over here. At the minute I'm referring to the PAS terminology but am just confusing people that I speak to. May be one for another thread.   

Social Buttons

skeenliside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Are you finding the UK PAS documents useful?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 03:03:47 pm »
I haven't seen the PAS documents getting used over here, per se. Certainly there is a lot of attention to anything the UK is producing in the BIM sphere, and the concepts within the docs are getting general awareness. However, that is also the reason we are at the bSI table and at the ISO table -- to be in a position to influence the adoption of standards that have been successful for other countries and would be beneficial to be leveraged to the ISO international standards level. Working through the ISO designation and SCC (Standards Council of Canada) makes it a lot easier and legitimate to apply to the Canadian context in a formal and serious move.

That said, we as a buildingSMART chapter and ISO Mirror Committee for Canada, need to continue to drive efforts to get as much national-level feedback and expert option into the mix to bring to these tables with us, so we are pursuing and focusing on the topics that are of priority for Canada. This is the only way to ensure we are getting the maximum gain out of our efforts abroad. My hope, and glad you are so supportive, is that tools like this forum can support this need and work as a two-way street. (Fingers crossed! Lol)
Susan Keenliside
S8 Inc.
Chair, bSC Members Community
Delegate, buildingSMART International
Delegate, ISO TC59 SC13

kirk.stalkie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 03:42:48 pm »
At NORR, we reference them quite a bit and used them to help develop our own standards, but that is probably because we have offices in the UK.

brentmauti

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 06:18:11 pm »
Same with IBI...I will often reference them, especially the diagrams.  We know there are differences in terms but the documents do resonate obviously with our UK offices and certainly apply conceptually to any of our global offices.  My view is that there is no need to recreate something already defined.  Also it's not just the PAS documents but also the Scandinavian, Australian, Singapore, etc.  A lot of good stuff out there internationally which as a global BIM community we should at least reference / be aware of.

Patrick

• View Profile
    • BIM Facility AG
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 09:43:34 am »
They're now being adapted as ISO Standards (ISO 19650-1 and ISO 19650-2). We have found the PAS documents very useful and use them a lot here.