Author Topic: Current Contract Setups  (Read 388 times)

dave.a1981

• View Profile
Current Contract Setups
« on: March 21, 2017, 11:10:56 am »
Hi All,

I thought I would kick this topic off by finding out who has set any collaborative BIM projects up and how you have went about it. In the UK you probably already know that there is a ton of guidance and documentation on collaborative workflows for BIM L2. One of the documents being the CIC BIM Protocol, which is appended in to any standard form of contract. For those of you who have started projects off over here would you be willing to share what you have used as a contractual document? If anything? Has anybody looked at the CIC and possibly amended it to suit your needs?

Very interested to know your thoughts.

Dave

Social Buttons

bimfreak

• Laura Kay Smith
  • Global Moderator
  • Laura Kay Smith
    • View Profile
    • BIMFreak
Re: Current Contract Setups
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 10:49:52 am »
Good topic Dave,

I currently work for an US based firm and on that side of the border they use the AIA E203, G201, G202 documentation. We are in the midst of adding these document requirements to our contracts across the board. Honestly I'm not sure if the Canada market will accept these proposed changes to our contract, but I'm happy it's going in that direction.
Collaboration is everything
@BIMFreak
www.BIMFreak.com

Brian.A

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 02:44:12 pm »
Canada does have a standard contract document which is also appended to other contracts for services or construction. It was published by the Institute for BIM in Canada (IBC) in 2014 and is endorsed by the national associations for architects, engineers, spec writers and contractors (RAIC, ACEC, CSC & CCA) as well as large public owners.

The Appendix was developed using, with permission, parts of the AIA BIM documents.  For default it uses LODs at that time. BIMForum has since published an update which is much longer and more detailed – but in my opinion perhaps too long as part of a contract. It could be simply referenced within the contract though, as opposed to including the entire document.

I have seen contracts for BIM from several countries. They all require much additional detail as to what is agreed to be provided contractually – particularly post-construction. What uses the owner can ‘rely’ on with the model: quantity take-off and tendering, asset management (equipment, furniture, other), energy management or analysis, replacement parts?

The documents are available on the IBC Website for purchase.  Canada does have a standard contract document which is also appended to other contracts for services or construction. It was published by the Institute for BIM in Canada (IBC) in 2014 and is endorsed by the national associations for architects, engineers, spec writers and contractors (RAIC, ACEC, CSC & CCA) as well as large public owners.

The Appendix was developed using, with permission, parts of the AIA BIM documents.  For default it uses LODs at that time. BIMForum has since published an update which is much longer and more detailed – but in my opinion perhaps too long as part of a contract. It could be simply referenced within the contract though, as opposed to including the entire document.

I have seen contracts for BIM from several countries. They all require much additional detail as to what is agreed to be provided contractually – particularly post-construction. What uses the owner can ‘rely’ on with the model: quantity take-off and tendering, asset management (equipment, furniture, other), energy management or analysis, replacement parts?

The documents are available on the IBC Website for purchase.  [url]Canada does have a standard contract document which is also appended to other contracts for services or construction. It was published by the Institute for BIM in Canada (IBC) in 2014 and is endorsed by the national associations for architects, engineers, spec writers and contractors (RAIC, ACEC, CSC & CCA) as well as large public owners.

The documents are available on the IBC Website for purchase.  https://www.ibc-bim.ca/documents/

We (IBC/bSC) would love to get feedback from any who have seen and/or tried to use the contracts.

Brian Aitken
IBC / bSC Business Manager

dave.a1981

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 12:01:42 pm »
Thanks Brian, Apologies for the delay in responding.

I had looked at the IBC docs but haven't used them ye. I'd like to trial it then more than happy to give you feedback. I am keen to use it / or similar as it's still very immature over here. Would you say that they're easy enough to follow, for non-BIM people? I'm just trying to get peoples thoughts on the usage and management of the document. Have you had much feedback on the ease of using the document?

Dave

Brian.A

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 08:42:27 am »
Dave,

The appendix is an add-on to the basic contract one has for designing or constructing. It is quite simple. The basic things it says is that the parties agree:

- they will use BIM on this project and rely on the model
they will  share the model among all that are signed up to the BIM appendix (or else you don't get model info, and if you get it, you don't have rights to rely on it (in other words can't sue someone because you claim  the info created a problem for you).
- you are responsible for what you do in the model(s); if others change by developing from what you have started - they are responsible for that (everyone is responsible for what they do).
- you can 'rely' on the model, but only to the extent and purposes (uses) that have been definedin the appendix to begin and later in detailed PxPs.

Although it is a simple document it has many blanks that need to be filled-in, that non-BIM people could not do. Such as define the "uses" or what document for LODs will be used. Also  one would need to be familiar with the terms in a basic contract. 

Brian